Monday, March 21, 2011

New Soles

Unlike most places in America that are paved smooth with asphalt, all of Rome's streets are cobblestones. Not only does it take some time getting used to walking on the uneven surface, but it takes a toll on one's shoes! Before coming to Rome, I received a new pair of boots for Christmas. I wear them almost every day and as you can imagine, the heals of my boots have worn down to reveal the material underneath the rubber sole. Today, I decided that I would ask the Pantheon office assistant if there is a place nearby that I would be able to go to to resole my shoes. The woman said yes and circled on a map where one was located. She also wrote me down a phrase that I needed to say to the cobbler. I decided that I would then go to the cobbler to get an estimate of the price it was cost to repair my shoes. I walked into the small store down a side street and said to the man what I had been told to say: Devo resvolare la scarpa. The cobbler looks at me as if I need to continue saying something and I just stand there smiling. I'm then confused and I say, "Parlo italiano un po." That's when I realize he speaks no English. He's now talking to me in Italian. I'm confused and try showing him the heals of my boots. In Italian I ask how much: Quanto costa? He replies by saying, "Dieci euros." In my head I am saying, "Crap...I know how to count! How much is that? Oh right, that means ten." He continues to say "Domani" which means tomorrow. I'm sure he thought I was going to try to leave my boots with him today without having another pair of shoes to walk out of the store in! I replied with "si" and tried to think of how to say I will return tomorrow, yet all I could think was how to say it in Spanish. Frazzled, I said in English that I will be back tomorrow. I thanked him ("Grazie mille") and left the store. Tomorrow, I hope to drop off my shoes...in the meantime, I am going to be practicing my Italian.

No comments:

Post a Comment