Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bailamos! by Olivia Dickow


I have no rhythm. Even though I was born Italian, I have never felt this trait was inherited unto me. Well, my thoughts on dancing were about to change when the Pantheon Institute organized a thrilling event. They invited students to come to a Latin dance session. Due to my immediate insecurity, I obviously ignored the sign up sheet. However, my roommate had other plans and made sure my name was written.

A few minutes before heading to the school for this dance sensation, my roommates and I panicked as to what we were to wear. What was the proper attire for Latin dancing? Should we wear leggings, a casual dress, and black heels? Or should we wear sweat pants, white t-shirt, and gym shoes? In the frazzle of the moment, we chose the more fancy option.


When we arrived at the gym, we realized we should have chosen the later more casual apparel. For our Brazilian guy instructor named, Reyna, was in workout clothes and already sweating. His welcoming presence and no comprehension for the English language, got the six of us there so pumped for this incredible experience. We walked into the dance room, and realized from the beginning that Latin dance actually encompassed many diverse unexpected genres.


With dance music already playing, we started laughing when our instructor began to lead us into zumba dancing. Obviously, this has become one of the most popular aerobic dances in the States. But, apparently, it was just as popular in Italy. As I tried to mimic my instructor’s moves, while glancing in the mirrors at my friends, I could not take myself seriously. Honestly, I

did not even care.


After our Shakira number, we did the vampira dance. It included basic zumba moves, but with vampire poses throughout random pauses during the song. I just wished someone had gotten those faces on camera. After complete and utter success as actresses, Reyna set the new mood for our second portion to the class.


He passed out purple, blue, yellow, and orange boa scarves. He put on his sparkling white glittery fedora hat, and then turned out the lights. The burlesque atmosphere got us jumpy, excited, and all together hyper. He put on the Christina Aguilera hit from her latest movie, Burlesque, and we let loose under the spinning cosmic lights. This evening just got better by the minute.



Sweaty, barefoot, and utterly energized, I did not want the class to end. As we all shook off embarrassment, worries of the day, and those extra calories from the pizza overload, we just had such a grand time together. Dancing in Italy, laughing with new made friends from the program, and posing for pictures with Reyna, was an evening well spent. I no longer care that I don’t have rhythm. I just want to go back and experience it all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment