Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Keep in touch Pantheon Institute!!!

November 3rd was the first day of my internship at the Pantheon Institute. I was pretty anxious that day, because it was the first time I tried this kind of experience and, as every time you under take a new activity you are riddle with doubts. I was especially worried about my English. I hadn’t practiced it for ages and I didn’t feel confident at all, but no excuse, this time I had to try it! Today, when the experience is about to end, I can say that my early concerns have turned now into the feeling that time has run too fast here. But let’s start from the beginning!

During my stay at the Pantheon Institute I had to carry out different tasks, such as checking the information on the student handbook, filing, writing brochures of tourist information. Leafing through the pages of travel guides and navigate through the tourist websites, I found out about amazing places in my country I knew very little about before doing this research. Now I am an expert in beaches, local food and public transportation of the places I made a study on, and I am ready to take up a career as a tourist guide. Joking apart, that was a very pleasant task to carry out. By the way, I apologize for any language mistake you could come across reading the brochures!

The language tandem with American students was a very nice experience too. Organizing the event and joining it was really fun. It gave me the opportunity to practice the language and, least but not last, to meet American guys!

Another thing I was asked to do, was that of making sure that the discounts to local partners offered by the Pantheon Institute to the students, were still valid. That meant having to walk for hours through the shops of Trastevere, as a tourist in my own city. What’s better? I have always loved my city, especially Trastevere.

Living it in the early morning, when the air smells of freshly baked bread, old men meet for their coffee and newspaper, and you wander through the alleyways and the ancient buildings, made me feel so good and inspired! Not to speak about the feeling I used to have at the beginning, every time I walked out the door of the school and found myself surrounded by music and foreign voices speaking out loud. I felt I was on holiday in my own town!

If I had to describe this experience in just one word, I would say “journey”. A journey through Italy while writing the tourist brochures; a journey through the ancient Rome; and a journey through my “English world”, realizing thanks to the several jobs I did here as an intern, what I know and what I still need to improve at a linguistic level. And in this short journey I have been together with very nice people who have warmly welcomed me since the very beginning of the training, making the job easier than I thought it to be. Defenitively a positive experience! Keep in touch Pantheon Institute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment