Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kendall's ramblings...

I'm coming up on week 4 here, and this city still affects me on a daily basis. I could honestly see myself living here. I feel something here that I fear leaving behind. I want to hold it close to me forever, it's indescribable, but all consuming. It will own a piece of me forever, that is all I know. The magic is still everywhere, waiting around every corner to slam into me and leave me aghast. The people who smile as you sip coffee, tipping their hats and crinkling their cheeks is so rare in America. These people have such a warmth inside them, and they are so willing to share it with you if you just keep an open mind. There are the obvious negatives too, with the aggressive Italian men blowing kisses, saying comments, and sometimes trying to grab, but all of that is taken in easy stride. Not too much different in America. :)

I took a trip to the Vatican for the first time this past week. It was probably one of the most moving experiences of my life. We got a special trip down to the Necropolis. We had a wonderful tour guide show us the tombs of the old pagan families in this area. These tombs were originally above ground, but when Emperor Constantine legalized Christianity, he sent out a notice that he would be building his Basilica over the tombs, so they could come collect their dead. The tombs were then covered in dirt, forever buried under the church we now call The Vatican. Walking underground was incredible, seeing these ancient tombs that were decorated with such detail, to respect those that had passed is not something to take lightly. It forces you to realize how seriously they cared about their families, and how devoted they were to assuring them a peaceful end. Walking along the excavated passageways, with dirt and cement at our feet, and quiet in the air, you can't help but swallow the magnitude of what you are seeing before you. As we walked west, we got closer and closer to the tomb of St. Peter. I have never been a very religious person, but I absolutely respect all religions for their belief and devotion. Walking into a a beautiful little temple underground, our tour guide told us more about St. Peter. How he was crucified upside down because he felt it was unjust to be crucified in the same way of his savior. The tiny temple we were sitting in was right up against his tomb, with the room shaped like an inverted cross. It wasn't until our wonderful tour guide told us that we were going to see his bones, that everything seemed to fall apart in my chest. I had no idea what we were actually going to be seeing that day, and as we were read a quote that Jesus had said, followed by a moment of silence, I fell apart, hard. Standing next to the remnants of what was believed to be one of the foundations of Christianity allowed me to be grateful for my humanity, and in the belief of people. We were reminded that no matter what custom, religion, language, or landscape we come from, we will always be connected through who we are people. I'll never forget the feeling I had in that moment, the overwhelming, desperate, shocking emotion that ran through me was once again unique to this place, and I am nothing but grateful to be soaking it in.

This past weekend, we were supposed to go to Perugia, just to take a night to spread our wings a little. Plans fell through when the tickets were a little too expensive. Instead we went to the Borghese gardens and went out to a nice dinner. The gardens were a little disappointing in my opinion, after seeing what I saw at Villa D'Este, it's hard to compare anything with it. The dinner was wonderful, I had a fettuccini dish with mushrooms, peppers, and spices. Three of us sat for hours outside next to a heat lamp within a little outcove, just talking and sharing stories. It was the kind of experience I always dreamed of when coming to Italy, almost cliche' in its nature.

Next weekend a few of us are going to Naples, and maybe Capri. I'll have to update after that trip. I hope all is well with everyone in their lives, and I especially hope you enjoy my ramblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment